Friday, July 20, 2012

The kitchen sink

I woke up this morning with my head killing me, but, a slight bit of mobility increase in my jaw!  It hurt like crazy, but it was movement.  It locked right back up about 5 minutes later.... but this got me thinking that it is a blessing that the oral surgeon's first available is Aug 6th.   I have 2 weeks to do everything possible, because what if it opens the whole way!? 

So, I booked a massage appointment Sat morning, and an acupuncture (they take BCBS insurance!) appointment Sat afternoon.  I will book another massage appointment next Wed probably (bc if its not better by the 3rd, its too late to cancel the oral surgeon) and try to book 1-3 more acupuncture visits before the 3rd of Aug.   I am also going to ask for a prescription of muscle relaxers.  I get they only put a bandaid on the problem, but if it gets it to open, and then we can address the underlying issue, awesome. Anything is better than needles, scopes, and flushing in the joint attached to my skull! In the end, God is in control and I trust Him 100%, come what may! I will take Him up on the command to be wise as a serpent though. :)   Below are the potential side effects I would love to not even play the game with:

Temporary or permanent facial muscle weakness resulting from motor nerve injury during the injection.  The most common problem resulting is the inability to wrinkle the brow, raise the eyebrow or gain tight closure of the eyelids.

Numbness (temporary or permanent) of certain areas of skin in the region of the joint and sometimes in more remote areas of the face or scalp.

Bleeding within the joint which cannot be adequately controlled and could require immediate intervention by open joint surgery.

Ear problems, including inflammation of the canal, middle or inner ear infections, perforation of the ear drum and temporary or permanent hearing loss.

Instrument separation which may require open joint surgery.

Facial scarring from the entry injection.

Damage to the joint surface during the arthrocentesis or needle procedure, usually of a reversible nature but which could permanently affect joint function.

Unsuccessful entry into the joint or inability to accomplish the desired procedure because of limited motion of the joint or scarring.

Worsening of present TMJ symptoms which may require repeat arthrocentesis, arthroscopy or open joint surgery.

Changes in the bite after arthrocentesis which may affect chewing functions.  In addition, there may be temporary or permanent limited mouth opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment